Progress Through Preservation
Preservation House is the former Portage Township Schoolhouse, built in 1870 and located near the corner of West Market Street and White Pond Drive. It operated as a schoolhouse from 1870-1930, then served as a City of Akron Public Library Branch from 1932-1958. From 1959-2008, the building was home to Fairlawn Park Garden & Civic Center. In March 2009, PTP signed a 10 year license agreement with City of Akron to manage and restore the schoolhouse. The restoration of Preservation House was completed in 2014.
In addition to serving as PTP's current home, Preservation House is also the focus of a more than $200,000 restoration project funded by PTP. The most immediate goal was to make the building more recognizable as a schoolhouse again, specifically through such additions as a period-appropriate belfry.
Preservation House is available to rent for social gatherings and meetings. Our meeting room is approximately 25' x 32' and furnishings include 42 chairs and 12 6'x3' tables. The food preparation area includes counters, a sink, under-counter refrigerator, and microwave. There is one restroom in the vestibule. Maximum seating capacity is 50 people.
The rental rates are as follows:
Private Events: $90 for 4-hour rental, additional hours at $20/hour. $150 for an 8-hour rental
Commercial Use: $150 for 4-hour rental, additional hours at $40/hour. $300 for an 8-hour rental.
Security Deposit: $100 (Refundable if there is no damage).
PTP Members once a year use: $25 for 4-hour rental, additional hours at $20 per hour. $75 for 8-hour rental.